Meeting with a Maryland probate attorney can be very important if someone you love has passed away. The individual the decedent has named as executor of an estate should meet with a probate attorney as soon as possible in order to get advice about fulfilling his or her duties. If you are an heir or beneficiary, you may also consider meeting with an experienced attorney to understand your options and how to protect your inheritance.
A well-qualified attorney can guide you through the entirety of the probate process, regardless of what your role is within such complicated legal matters. The last thing you want to do after a death is to deal with complex court proceedings. Therefore, the goal is efficiency and to provide a clear understanding of estate administration. Selecting an attorney who is knowledgeable on the in-and-outs of estate tax rules and court procedures is essential. Also, it will assist in a smoother transfer of assets after death and explanation of the technical legal issues that arise during the probate process.
Some of the different steps that you may wish to take when preparing to meet with an attorney include:
- Obtaining a copy of the Last Will and Testament, and any related documents created by the decedent.
- Obtaining a copy of trust documents, if created by the decedent.
- Obtaining a certified death certificate.
- Writing down a list of questions that you wish to ask so you are organized regarding your immediate inquiries.
- Preparing a preliminary list of estate assets and expenses.
Administering an estate can be an arduous and emotional process. Sinclair Prosser Gasior navigates its clients through the probate courts by assisting executors, heirs or beneficiaries during various steps, and believes in the importance of the initial preparation of estate matters in order to lay a solid foundation. Contact us today if you have any questions.
- Maryland Inheritance Tax Myths - March 30, 2023
- Can I Handle the Duties of an Executor? - March 2, 2023
- What Happens with my Car at my Death? - January 24, 2023